Monday, October 19, 2009

.
.

FINN JOHANNSEN


For me, there are two approaches to recording a mix. The first is to take a lot of time in thinking of a smart and coherent concept, to then carefully select the according music and plan its transitions, and later, record the whole thing and make it public. There are plenty of my sets on the internet where I have done exactly that, with quite some variety of styles and ideas, and for a variety of reasons and purposes, too. These mixes are often schooled by the mixtapes I compiled for as long as I can remember (for girlfriends, friends and maybe some yet invisible target audience). My mixes of that kind have gotten more refined over the years. At some point, I started to mix music, and the amount of people such a set finally reaches has grown considerably. But the method, more or less, has stayed the same.


The second approach is to record a set while you're playing in the club. Of course, the selection and execution in that context is different. I usually bring as many records as possible that I would like to dance to if I would be attending the club that very night, and then I combine them as it makes most sense to me in the given situation of the party. I try to avoid repeating combinations with each gig. For me, the fun part of mixing is to try and test new sequences. This can run the risk of a hit-and-miss in outcome (often depending on how inspired or concentrated I am), but in my mind, the possibility of failure is far less uncomfortable than relying on playlists of which I have already explored or experienced the success or functionality of. In short, I try to stay open to the surprises the music has on offer, and I try to pass that on to the crowd.


As Modifyer asked me for a guest mix, I quickly thought of doing something I had never done before: a combination of the two approaches mentioned above. At the time, there were no concepts left in my mind waiting to be released in a set (and admittedly, I also had so many other things to take care of that I found it difficult to come up with another or a better idea). If such ideas don't strike you right away, they are mostly not worth being carried out anyway. What I did spend some thought on, however, was the music I wanted to play at Macro's imminent label residency at Panorama Bar on the 10th of October 2009. I decided to leave the records in my box in the exact order I would play them at the gig, and re-record the set as soon as possible, with the memory of the proceedings still vivid. And thus I did, a day later. Naturally, the way the set now sounds is different to the live situation of the club; the mixing is tighter in parts, probably less frantic, and I could already tell where to mix in from what I could still remember of playing the music as it happened. Still, it was very interesting to repeat the experience, and it was also very interesting to take a second look at the choices I made in the intensity and immediacy of the night.


The night itself was a wonderful experience. We had just released the album "Catholic" by Patrick Cowley & Jorge Socarras and its accompanying singles. For the occasion, my label partner, Stefan Goldmann, and I invited Serge Verschuur from Clone Records and our friend Hunee to play. We knew that both would deliver the dynamic diversity we had in mind to celebrate what we had worked on for so long. I was due to play the last set, from 8 a.m. to 10.30 a.m. Unfortunately, I had a severe cold resurfacing, so I took some hours rest before arriving at the club at around 4 a.m. I could tell right away that the vibe of the club was a bit different to other nights there. Dubfire was on for Berghain, and judging from the queue I passed on my way to the entrance, the people interested in hearing him play seemed other than the regular crowd. I didn't mind that at all, but as I made my way through Berghain, I kept running into friends who were telling me that there was more trouble at the door than usual. The music was different, too. I paused to listen to Dubfire's set. While the monolithic pulse of the techno sound associated with Berghain was there, it somehow lacked the tension and groove that I need to lock me. I went upstairs to Panorama Bar to check what was going on there instead.


Serge was in the midst of a blinding set of classic and contemporary house and techno. The crowd was well into it. Hunee followed suit marvelously, steering the proceedings to more cheerful shores, and adding some classic disco and anthemic vocal moments. There were smiling faces enough, familiar and unfamiliar, to convince me that the night turned out to be what we hoped for, and then some. As I took over, I had the feeling that I should take another direction musically. I felt very tired and numbed by the fever the flu brought along. To start, I thought that I should kick myself into action with the music, hoping that the dancers would follow my way. Picking Heaven 17 to follow up Hunee's last record, Code 718's blissful "Equinox", was admittedly a bit bold and therefore received some confused looks, but then in the course of the set, things quickly fell into line. Flicking through my box, every next record seemed to be waiting in place, already offering its services to make the night one to remember. When I left the club, near Sunday noon, into the same mean cold drizzle I entered from several hours before, the music continued to thump in my head and there were indeed a lot of wonderful memories to keep. On Monday, I refreshed myself, had a good breakfast and then recorded this set right away in one take, in order to not let any of those memories slip away.


finn johannsen - process part 168 by modyfier

01. Heaven 17 - Let's All Make A Bomb

02. Santiago Salazar - Arcade

03. The Children - Freedom
04. Nitzer Ebb - Join In The Chant
05. Reese & Santonio - Bounce Your Body To The Box

06. The House Factors - Play It Loud

07. Static - The Native Dance

08. Dope Wax All Stars - Angelo's Groove

09. Foremost Poets - Reasons To Be Dismal?

10. Exposure - Love Quest

11. Seven Grand Housing Authority - Love's Got Me High

12. Callisto - Ambent II

13. Caucasian Boy - Northern Lights

14. DJ Pierre - Muzik

15. Loftis # V - Dreamin'

16. M.A.D.A. - The Good Stuff

17. Pet Shop Boys - Can You Forgive Her?

18. Junior Rafael - 4 All Da Men In My Life

19. DJ Sneak - Fear The World

20. Transcendence - Magique Noir

21. Tears Of Velva - The Way I Feel

22. Cheek - Venus

23. DJ Pierre - Box Energy

24. Dntel - (This Is) The Dream Of Evan And Chan

25. Mina Jackson And The Children - Pray

26. Bam Bam - Where's Your Child?

27. Yello - You Gotta Say Yes To Another Excess

28. DJ Bone - We Control The Beat

29. Raz - Baila

30. Air Frog - Bon Voyage

31. The S-Man feat. Orchestra 7 - Rhumba

32. Lime - On The Grid

33. Paper Clip People - Oscillator

34. Aaron Carl & Benjamin Hayes - The Struggle

35. Rhythm Invention - Chronoclasm

36. Audiotech - Techno City

37. John Beltran - Going Home

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I was there

7:55 PM  
Anonymous joseph said...

if this is how you DJ when you've got the flu..!

8:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

some seriously fat ass house beats here + classics. brilliant indeed.

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely, very entertaining! One of my favourites.

2:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is still just wonderful! Great great great great. I love. What should I say, tears in my eyes, energy in my legs, freedom in my soul. Argh! Greatest shit.

3:18 AM  
Blogger Hot Pics said...

Chinese Celebrities Hot Images, Hot Photos, Hot Pics just visit this website given below.

Hot Pics

7:53 AM  
Blogger Check Mot History said...

The very helpful advice in this particular post! Providing Us With This Great Knowledge Mot History

12:14 AM  
Blogger myslot said...

สุดยอดจริงๆครับเว็บหนังออนไลน์เว็บนี้ ดูหนังออนไลน์สนุกๆ Hereditary กรรมพันธุ์นรก (2018) หนังใหม่ดูฟรีๆ

https://www.doonung1234.com/

5:04 AM  
Blogger MOVIE2FREEZA said...

I don't know how to come But like to read your articles Hope to make a good article for you to read again.

ดูหนังออนไลน์ฟรี

7:33 AM  
Blogger Deal and Delas said...

BWC is being jointly developed by the consortium of Blue Group of Companies with Chinese civic infrastructure developers. The whole concept of the BWC is to project a prospering positive image of Pakistan by making the housing society a tourism destination. It is only in the BWC that you’ll be able to find replicas of Life Size global icons of world-renowned architectural marvels such as Turkey’s magnificent blue mosque.

Blue world city Islamabad map

park view lahore payment plan

Rudn Enclave payment plan

1:27 AM  
Anonymous real estate company in islamabad said...

Blue World City is one of the most demanding housing project in Islamabad. Topline Marketing is one of the top and leading real estate agency. Customers satisfaction is our top priority.

3:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeezy 350 v2
off-white
yeezy supply
yeezy 500 blush
hermes outlet
supreme hoodie
nike kyrie 5
air jordan travis scott
off white
kd shoes

9:27 AM  
Anonymous apple cool said...

Urgent AC Repair is a big and famous company all over the world. We have been serving for many years to provide convenience and comfort to our clients and customers. We are providing services in many categories of air conditionershttps://urgentacrepair.com/ Our service starts with the installation process and ends with the repair, maintenance, and replacement of air conditioners in other places and locations.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous PGZEED said...

PGZEED GOLD เพื่อให้ได้สิทธิ์การใช้งานระบบของ PGZEEd Gold จำเป็นต้องมีการสมัครสมาชิกก่อน pg slot โดยสามารถทำได้ผ่านเว็บไซต์หรือแอปพลิเคชันของโดยต้องกรอกข้อมูล

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home