Thursday, April 17, 2008

.
.

QUIRKY


My first gigs were 12 hours long. Every Sunday from 1pm to 1am. "Afternoon Tea" it was called - in a bar in Cork called "The Roundy".


That seems like a lifetime ago now. I just became a Dad and barely have time to complete my two hour monthly mix for Proton Radio. I was really looking forward to doing this mix as a kind of "what does music really mean to me kinda" thing. It started off very personal - tunes that aren't even that good but just meant a lot to me - more about times and places than quality. I really enjoyed going through my old precious records and remembering the times when I played this or heard that for the first time. After I snapped out of my nostalgia it made me think more about the here and now, the difference between the two and the choices I've made.


So I made this mix with mostly unreleased or recently released music (except for 1 or 2 tracks, like the DFA & Marathon Men) to show where I am right now. Music is important to me. Very Important. I taught myself how to DJ in order to share music with people. But nothing is more important to me than my wife & son. I guess, in the end, this mix is for them because I wouldn't be where I am without them.

(I wonder if he will like Ame when he grows up.)


01. Loco Dice - M train To Brooklyn // Desolat

02. John Daly - Solitaire // International

03. Still Going - Still Going Theme // DFA

04. Marathon Men - Sweet Exorcisr // GAMM

05. Manuel Tur - Deviate // Drumpoet Community

06. The Mole - Smiling & Running // Wagon Repair

07. Soultourist - Coming Soon // Drumpoet Community

08. Robytek - Luna Africana (Roland Appel Mix) // Rebirth

09. Henrik Schwarz - I Exist Because Of You (Dixon Mix) // Innervisions

10. Solomun - Deadman // Four Twenty

11. Gui Boratto - Tales From The Lab (Sian Mix) // Defrag

12. NuFrequency - Go That Deep (Charles Webster Mix) // Rebirth

13. Ame - Doldrums // Innervisions

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

awesome mix! thanks a lot, quirky and modyfier! that track by marathon men is just mindblowing!

4:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crazy! Very nice mix indeed and agree with sma; that marathon men track rocks!

4:12 AM  
Blogger valdez said...

I looooooved this mix!!!! Very Âme indeed but exactely what I wanted to hear... Thanks Quirky but special thanks to Modyfier for your quality blog! I have been visiting your blog for a very long time now... at first to grab some free music (which is a bit useless for me as I'm not a dj...). But you have really created something special with these process series. Love the text part, love the minimalistic design, love the sound... keep on doing this! Some of us appreciate the time/effort spent here!

2:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thankyou. love this blog.

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just loved this mix!
I will hear it again and again.
Thank you!

JB

3:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words everyone, im happy the mix has had such a positive response, it means a lot to me. Thank you

10:24 AM  
Blogger modyfier said...

thank you! to everyone...

9:06 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

I really love this mix.. the transition to the never want to go that deep track is great!

11:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gutt Gutt, veRRY veRRY gutt!!

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it makes me happy - danke say spacesalad

5:21 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

gracias mil encantado

1:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

exelent job i realy love this mix

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home