Monday, May 18, 2009

.
.
DEE JAY PEE PLAY

This was one of the most brutal winters of my entire existence. The earth was gasping for precipitation, the American wallet was crying for green men, and my consciousness was covered in soot, sand, cobwebs, and indifference. This mix, like everything has the past six months, was no easy task. I eventually lost count how many times I went into the basement studio only to walk back upstairs with a bloody abortion feeling.

INCOMING TEXT: JACOB, THE MUSIC IS TOO LOUD, IT'S TOO LATE, PLEASE KILL IT.

All the normal boundaries and rules I force upon myself when making a mix flew out the window about day 5 of trying to record. Eventually all the focus was about getting the boulder up the hill and nothing else. I no longer pontificated on whether a track "had a shelf life" or whether a fellow geek would frown upon the popularity of a song. All I could focus on was achieving perfection, a flawless live session, a surgically performed transition that would cut away the blemishes of my current state of being. Records jumped into the bag, others scurried away quickly, their heads covered to protect them from the falling sky. Finally a consensus was reached, everyone got along, a blueprint was drafted and it was time to get back to building.

CAUTION: ALL WORKERS ARE REQUIRED TO WEAR SAFETY GOGGLES AND HELMETS AT ALL TIME.

Sometimes all it takes is a good lay and everything makes sense. Months of meaningless one night stands and "internet research" were not helping me bang this out. Maybe if I could just focus on an object in the distance this nausea would cease and I would have 71:04 mins / 700 mb of regularity.

DO NOT TAKE MORE THEN 4 GELCAPS IN A PERIOD OF 24 HOURS.

What was I trying to get out of this? According to google anylitics my mixes are some of the least downloaded on the Honey Podcast. Woe is me, there goes another transition! If I lay echo over that, is that cheating? Who is on the olympic judging commitee of DJ mixes anyway? That triple lux was a bit Trip Hop for my taste: 5.5

GCHAT_MODIFYER: HEY JACOB JUST LOOKING TO SEE IF YOU ARE STILL GOING TO SUBMIT A PIECE TO MODIFYER? sent at 3:26 pm

This is getting messy, are you even reading this? Is that sun shining through my window or did I just piss my bed again? It is, it is, SUNSHINE! A day at the beach is what I need, some good old vitamin E and a bike ride, then 2 CDJ 800s, a Technique 1200MK2, and a XONE. I am in the zone. Summer is here, finally. Two cups of coffee will keep me just scattered enough to concentrate. Oh god I love this track, "How do I let go, how do I let go, how do I let go."


01. Rememory Screen by Timonium
02. My Volcano by Valet
03. Work by Junior Boys
04. Song For Marie And Elise (Aeroplane Remix) by Lullabies In The Dark
05. Differente by Gotan Project
06. Lookosphere (Whignomy Brothers Rollmops Rework) by Kreon y Lemos
07. La Fotographia by Alex Neri and Luca Bacchetti
08. Blissout (Soft Thing Remix) by Lemonade
09. Bernard by Swimming Pool
10. Stokes Croft 5AM by Bass Clef
11. Prima Materia (abort mix) by Alex Smoke
12. Tanto Tempo (Remixed by Peter Kruder) by Bebel Gilberto
13. Ever After (Afterlife Remix) by Seek
14. M Train to Brooklyn by Loco Dice
15. How Do I Let Go? by Dennis Ferrer feat. K. T. Brooks
16. Wild Spaghetti by Lanoiraude
17. Boogie No More (Reverso 68 Remix) by Dorfmeister vs. Madrid de los Austrias
18. Tripple Chrome Dipped by Michna
19. Refuge by Oi Va Voi

3 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy Blake said...

jacob, you are hilarious. downloading mix now, looking forward to a listen.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous sven said...

halfway through listening: stunning mix!!
thanks

5:14 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

not sure any mix deserves that much angst //// but in any case ... it's fucking excellent!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home