Monday, November 03, 2008

.
.
LUOMO

The making of Love You All (from the Luomo album Convivial on Huume)


I began making this song having Sascha and his vocals in mind, which is very unusual for me. I think it is one of the only times I have worked like this (making music with a particular singer in mind). I liked the song Arcadia on his latest album and could see the potential in collaborating with him. I asked him and he was interested to hear what I was thinking about.

As Sascha's schedule is quite busy, we began the collaboration via email even though we were at the time living only a few hundred meters from each other. I made a sketch of the song and sent it to him for his reaction. He was into it. Next, I sent him some lyrics for the song, which he liked. He told me he had been having hard time coming up with lyrics for it.

Then he did a demo recording with vocals at his place and sent that back to me. I liked what I heard. What he sang then are more or less the same lines that appear in the final version. From there, we faced the most difficult part: finding a time to be in the studio together. This really took awhile, what with traveling, flu, traveling, flu, busy, blah. Eventually we made it to my studio in Berlin and Sascha sang the vocals a few times and it just sailed through, very easy and quite convivial.

After I had the song and the vocals, I had the most interesting and challenging part ahead: the post-production, mixing, etc. Sometimes there is further exploration and experimentation in this phase (looking for what works and what doesn’t) but in this case I was quite clear in what I wanted to achieve with this song. The form was already there and I didn't want to make it too weird. Rather, I wanted it to go more towards the pop stuff I had in mind. It was just a case of looking for ways to make the song sound good and interesting, mixing it together. The song with Sascha was really one of the easiest (if not the easiest) to come up with and finish for the new album.

Since then I have done a more minimal and dance-floor oriented mix of the song which was quite lots of fun as well.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing! Thanks for letting us in on your methods, Sasu!

1:24 PM  
Blogger chris said...

thanks for the insights as always.

5:50 AM  
Blogger modyfier said...

ditto, boys...

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful. as i finished downloading it obama won ohio. now this song will always be about hope for me.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home