Friday, April 24, 2009

.
.

PETER VAN HOESEN

Leave the Land Untouched


The starting point for this mix was a question, a sort of challenge. How does one create an interesting, coherent mix going from Jimi Hendrix's 'And the gods made love' to Basic Channel's 'Enforcement'. These two tracks are somehow special to me because of the memoires attached to them. It's a challenge to bridge the space between these two tracks. The first is a short, psychedelic sixties intro tune to a classic album, the second is trance-inducing repetitive techno of the highest order, a classic in its own right. Originally I envisaged going from Hendrix into an abstract musical trip, slowly introducing rhythm to build my way up to 'Enforcement'. In other words, I thought I had the process mapped out quite clearly. Finalising the track listing took a very long time, a lot of it spent going over lists in my head, combining songs and moods. When I started putting the elements together it proved unsuccessful. Several versions of the mix were tried out, none of them worked for me. Either they sounded forced, or they evolved too fast, or too slow.... I decided to perceive this issue from the point of view of the process itself: if it takes me into a different direction than originally planned, then I should go with that and not fight it. After that everything fell into place, abandoning 'Enforcement' as a final goal to this mix and going for a more circular approach, with the mix starting and ending in the same style. It became very clear that there was a mood emerging, one that was emotional and charged with meaning, something I usually don't go for in a mix. When I listen to the mix now, after its completion two weeks ago, I feel like this is one of the more emotional mixes I have done so far. There is no tracklisting as I believe it's not important here, one needs to listen to the whole to understand what's there, too much literal information would take away the enjoyment. Finally, I'd like to say that I'm very happy to have been able to present a longtime musical passion of mine, which is the more experimental side of electronic music. Many artist are producing some incredible music in this field, always searching and probing for the new, the exciting, the refreshing....it's great to present this here.

10 Comments:

Blogger chris said...

excellent! what a lovely surprise. thanks for sharing your sounds peter. looking forward to this.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Nick said...

this is quite nice, thanks.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Adriaan Vankeerbergen said...

..damn this is good !

4:29 AM  
Blogger Evad said...

Looks interesting, will download this evening!

4:57 AM  
Blogger morgz said...

interesting sounds, thanks!

It contains one of my favourite tracks that i've been after the name of since i heard it on a Jose Padilla mix years ago! Third track in, the powerful powerful female vocal. Please somebody id this song!

1:27 PM  
Anonymous walrus said...

DLDLDLDLDLDLDL !

7:12 AM  
Blogger tb said...

great mix, peter.

10:46 AM  
Blogger AGL said...

Oh good Lord! Amazing! Song of the Siren to deep techno throb?!? I'd love a track list. But it's perfect just as it sits. Great work.

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Noah said...

really like this mix!

3:23 AM  
Blogger Chris Burkhalter said...

love the 1-2 punch of daniel stefanik and mark broom about 35 minutes in.

3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home