Monday, April 16, 2007

.
.
.
.
download: four color zack's set

1. Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit. I've been looking to set a mix off with Fela Kuti for a while now so it just seemed natural with some of the other tracks that I had lined up. It's so open ended and confident I just can't get enough of it. Its actually like 13 minutes long, all of which are amazing, but had to cut it short for the sake of the mix. Booooo....

2. Eddie Kendricks - Date With The Rain. B-boys will tell you (especially northwest ones) that date with the rain is a classic. We have a great dancer night in seattle called Soul City, run by Circle of Fire and Massive Monkeys (two of Seattle's legendary break dancecrews). this is one track that still gets CONSISTENT play! It's a very meaningful song for those who get as much rain as we do.

3. Eric B. & Rakim - Kick Along. I guess after the first two I kind of got in b-boy mode...had to keep it going for a bit with this one. I miss this kind of hip-hop.

4. Bugz In The Attic - Booty La La. I know it's not their newest single or anything, (don't get me wrong, those new joints are really good too, especially "Move Aside" and "I'm Gonna Letcha"),but this one still has got me. It's such a good transition from funky drums to more dance floor patterns.

5. Claude Vonstroke - The Whistler (Diplo Remix). I don't usually play much fresh-off-the-web heavy stuff (NOT a negative statement, just saying), cause for one I don't really stay as on top of it as I probably should, and also because I dont have any memories associated with most of it. I like a song to develop with age but this joint is ridiculously infectious! The whistles, the simple beat structure, had to include it!

6. Matthew Herbert - The Audience. Whew this song is slick! Conceptual, jazzy, has stages...it's got a lot of positive ingredients. I hadnt played it in a while but wanted to bring it back to move in to some more jazzy house/2step stuff.

7. Ty - Wait a Minute. When this 12" came out I was so happy with where music was going that I bought 4 copies!! the Dwele remix on the b side is good too but man that original... so sweet.

8. The Bamboos - Tighten Up. There's a lot of good versions of "Tighten Up", but I loved the tempo change in this one. Plus there's a break in the track that is SOOOO mean.. its just insane. I actually used its break to blend over since it was a good exit point, but it is more than worthy of playing on its own.

9. Barry White - Theme From Together Brothers. My dude DV One hit me with this one night when we were talking about goodblacksploitation soundtracks. He was all hyped with the sample at the end but come on ride the train??? yes!!!

10. Don Cannon - Cannon Remix ft. Weezy. Ok yeah lets go there anyway... may as well go out on that too since its so unlike the rest of the tracks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Deeni said...

Excellent mix... love it!
I love the FELA "Expensive Shit" intro that you used.

What tool/software did you use to put this mix together?

-Deen

http://felakuti.net
http://fela.kintespace.com

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this mix is seriously tight considering the content
water resistant to 25 meters i would think

11:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great song selection!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home